Farm Water Supply
Application Forms can only be obtained from the Water Specialist after your LTWMP has been approved (read below).
Application forms for this program can only be obtained from an Agriculture and Forestry (AF) Water Specialist after your Long-Term Water Management Plan (LTWMP) has been approved (see details below). Projects must be identified in a LTWMP that has been approved by an AF Water Specialist prior to starting any construction work or incurring any expenses. The Farm Water Supply Program is not an emergency program.
This program will:
· support producers to improve their water supply security and more effectively and efficiently manage their on-farm water resources
· support producers to protect their water resources through beneficial management practices; and
· provide technical assistance to producers to complete an assessment for the management of their water resources (e.g., Long-Term Water Management Plan).
The Farm Water Supply Program shares costs relating to enhancements of a producer’s on-farm water supply management, arising from a Long-Term Water Management Plan (LTWMP). These eligible costs are offered through Standard and Special Incentive projects described in detail in the Farm Water Supply Program Funding List.
Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis for a variety of water sourcing, conservation and protection projects if they are previously identified in the producer’s approved LTWMP and meet the program’s Terms and Conditions.
Eligible activities include:
Standard Incentive projects
· Water supply development and conveyance projects, including construction of water sources such as wells, dugouts, spring developments, dams, pipelines, and connections to a multi-user water supply pipeline.
· Water protection projects, including aeration systems and off-source watering systems and monitors.
· Projects are eligible for reimbursement of up to one-third of expenses, to a maximum of $5,000 per applicant.
Special Incentive projects
· Well pit conversions, water level measurement devices and wetland assessments for the purpose of properly planning and siting a water source are eligible for reimbursement of up to 50% of expenses, to a specified maximum per applicant or project.
· Well decommissioning and water use meters are eligible for reimbursement up to 50%, 60% or 75% of expenses depending on the number of each type of project completed, to a specified maximum per applicant or project.
Long-Term Water Management Plan (LTWMP) pre-requisite
Grant Application forms for this program can only be obtained from an AF Water Specialist after your Long-Term Water Management Plan (LTWMP) has been approved. Projects must be identified in a LTWMP that has been approved by an AF Water Specialist prior to starting any construction work or incurring any expenses.
LTWMPs that were approved during GF1 and GF2 are still valid if they are accurate and identify the eligible water project you are interested in completing.
There is no cost to producers for technical assistance provided by AF Water Specialists toward the completion and required prior approval of a Long-Term Water Management Plan.
Am I eligible for this program?
Producers, corporations and not-for-profit organizations with an active agricultural business in Alberta and a minimum of $10,000 of farm commodity production income are eligible. An eligible on-farm water project can be located on private land, rented land and certain types of Crown land subject to prior written approval from the landowner. The land on which a project is completed must be located in the Province of Alberta and must be actively farmed by the person applying for the grant at the time the project is completed.
How do I apply for this program?
· Determine whether you are eligible and interested in the type of eligible projects listed. Note: Refer to the program’s Terms and Conditions and the Farm Water Supply Program Funding List.
· Complete a Long-Term Water Management Plan for your farm, if you have not done so already. If you already have an LTWMP that was approved during GF1 or GF2, talk to an AF Water Specialist about amending your Plan Note: Producers complete a Long-Term Water Management Plan – either independently or with the assistance of an AF Water Specialist. A LTWMP template is provided to help producers create a Long-Term Water Management Plan. Submit your LTWMP to AF for review by an AF Water Specialist. Upon approval, they will provide a LTWMP approval confirmation letter as part of the grant application package.
· Obtain any approvals required. Note: Projects must meet the requirements of all applicable federal and provincial legislation and contact must be made to pertinent agencies prior to starting a project. A completed Environmental Checklist ((link)), highlighting environmental concerns for the producer to address, will help you with this and is also required as part of a grant application.
· Complete your project or projects identified in your approved LTWMP, and
· Submit the application form and supporting documents to:
Program Delivery Section
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
7000 - 113 Street
Edmonton Alberta T6H 5T6
Or Fax (780) 427-5921
Submission of a completed Grant Application Form to AF does not guarantee that the applicant will receive payment under this Program. No advance payments will be made. Applicants can only receive a grant payment for eligible expenses incurred and documented with the application form.
To find out more about the program, or to speak with an AF Water Specialist, please contact the Ag-Info Centre at 310-FARM (3276).