On-Farm Value-added Program
The On-Farm Value-added Program supports economic recovery through investment in projects, company sales growth, market expansion and the creation of jobs in Alberta. This program is designed exclusively for primary producers who are adding value past primary production.
Intake Period: June 17 to July 12, 2021
On this page:
The On-Farm Value-added Program is focused on the growth of Alberta’s producers adding value to their commodity products. The program supports projects that:
· Create jobs in Alberta;
· Support growth of the farm business by increasing sales of value-added product;
· Support investment (project investment relative to grant request);
· Pursue new markets or expand market opportunities (including removal of barriers to growth and market entry); and
· Develop new products and/or processes and introduce new products to market.
· Eligible capital expenses will be cost shared at 25% grant and 75% applicant.
· Eligible non-capital expenses will be cost shared at 50% grant and 50% applicant.
· Eligible non-capital expenses are capped at a maximum of $50,000.
· The maximum total grant funding an applicant can receive from the Program is $250,000 per fiscal year.
Please refer to the Funding List for details on capital and non-capital funding maximums.
Primary producers adding value past primary production are eligible.
· Must be an Alberta registered entity operating in Alberta.
· Must have a minimum of $25,000 in annual commercial production revenue.
Primary producers must be an Alberta registered entity operating in Alberta that is active in the business of changing an agricultural product into a value-added product. Primary producers who do not create a value-added product are ineligible.
Value-added product means an agricultural product that is changed, manipulated or enhanced through physical, chemical, or thermal means, and includes packaging of the enhanced agricultural product.
Activities that may be included under the Program are stated in the Funding List in support of the following:
· Processing capacity expansion
· Food safety improvement
· New product and process development
· Market development and access
All activities and expenses must meet the requirements as stated in the Program Terms and Conditions s.3.0.
Please note that purchases made before January 1, 2021 are not eligible for reimbursement under the Program.
How to Apply
Step 1: Determine whether you are eligible by reviewing the On-Farm Value-added Program Terms and Conditions. Confirm that the proposed activities are eligible. Eligible activities are listed in the Funding List. Complete all sections of the application form.
Step 2: Complete and sign the Application Form. Please read ‘Part F: Certification’ carefully before you sign, and note that only original signatures will be accepted (electronic or digital signatures are not acceptable).
Step 3:Submit the Application Form and supporting documentation by:
Email to: AF.AG-GRANTS@GOV.AB.CA
After I Apply
Once you have submitted your application and documentation, you may be contacted for additional information.
This is a merit-based program. Applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis based on the Program Assessment Criteria stated in Section 4.1 and Eligibility Criteria stated in Section 3.0 of the Program Terms and Conditions. Projects will be assessed according to funding constraints.
Total processing time objective is 23 weeks from the program closing date, to receive notification of decision on project support.
Phone: 310-FARM (3276)
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill and save the application form:
1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer
2. Open your Downloads Folder – the application should appear at the top of the folder
3. Open the PDF from within the Downloads Folder. You can now fill and save your form to your desktop.
If you continue to have issues, this link can help: https://cfr.forms.gov.ab.ca/Home/Help