Market Assurance Program
The Market Assurance Program supports Alberta’s livestock, crop and apiculture industries to help meet health, biosecurity, traceability, surveillance and livestock welfare related assurance requirements needed by markets.
Intake period: June 22 to August 3, 2021
On this page:
The Market Assurance Program focuses on addressing the market assurance gaps for plant health, apiculture health, livestock health, biosecurity, traceability, surveillance and livestock welfare. The program supports value chains with access to technical, compliance and market expertise, and technologies needed to implement assurance requirements and processes that provide confidence in the health, biosecurity, traceability, surveillance and welfare related attributes of Alberta’s livestock, crop and bee products. The program is focused on reducing risks associated with these types of assurance related market interruptions.
· Eligible capital expenses will be cost-shared at 25% grant and 75% applicant.
· Eligible non-capital expenses will be cost-shared at 50% grant and 50% applicant.
· The maximum grant an applicant can receive is $250,000 per project.
The following entities are eligible to apply under this program:
· Industry organizations
· Primary producers
· Indian bands
· Métis settlements
When developing the project, an eligible applicant under this program is encouraged to collaborate with all parties along the value chain that can contribute to meeting the market assurance requirements.
The following activities may be included in an application under this program:
· Purchase of, or modifications to, operational systems, technologies, processes and controls needed to comply with the market requirements related to providing assurance for plant, livestock and bee health, biosecurity, traceability or livestock welfare;
· Access to expertise for the development of crop, livestock and bee health, biosecurity, traceability or livestock welfare assurance protocols needed to maintain market access, or gain access to a new or emerging market;
· Initial or incremental implementation of third party independent assurance systems for crop, livestock and bee health, biosecurity, traceability or livestock welfare required by a new or emerging market; and
· Surveillance related to supporting assurance for market opportunities.
How to Apply
Step 1: Determine whether you are eligible by reviewing the Market Assurance Program Terms and Conditions.
Step 2: Complete and sign the Application Form.
Step 3: Submit the program application form and supporting documents by:
Applications will be considered for approval on a case-by-case basis. Applications will be evaluated and recommended for approval according to the eligibility criteria, assessment criteria, and funding constraints.
Tanya Warren (plants and bees) email: Tanya.Warren@gov.ab.ca ph: 780-643-9486
Michelle Follensbee (livestock) email: Michelle.Follensbee@gov.ab.ca ph:780-644-3072
General Program email: CAP.MarketAssurance@gov.ab.ca
Links and Other Resources
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill and save the application form
1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer
2. Launch Adobe Reader.
3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form