Agriculture and Food Sustainability Assurance Initiatives Program
The Agriculture and Food Sustainability Assurance Initiatives Program supports the demonstration to the public of the quality, safety and sustainability of products produced by producers and food companies.
Please contact CAP.PublicTrust@gov.ab.ca to discuss your project and receive the Program Application Form.
On this page:
The Agriculture and Food Sustainability Assurance Initiatives Program supports industry associations and industry-led non-profit assurance initiatives to develop and enhance sustainability certification or assurance systems. These certifications and systems demonstrate to the public the quality, safety and sustainability of products produced by producers and food companies.
· Eligible expenses will be cost-shared at 50% grant and 50% applicant.
· The maximum total grant funding an applicant can receive from the Program is $250,000 per project per fiscal year of the program term.
The following entities are eligible to apply under this program:
· Industry-led non-profit assurance initiative;
· Agricultural group registered under the Societies Act, such as an applied research/forage association;
· Commodity group;
· Incorporated not-for-profit organization; or
· Post-secondary institution.
The following activities related to the development and/or enhancement of sustainability certification or assurance systems may be included in an application under this program:
· Benchmarking studies including life cycle analyses, environmental foot-printing and gap analyses;
· Short-term funding for operating costs related to pilot studies, audits;
· Development of governance;
· Administrative support directly associated with the Project;
· Promotion of label and certification standard associated with the sustainability assurance initiative;
· Support for industry organizations to develop sustainability assurance programs; and
· Support communication efforts regarding consumer perceptions, verification standards, best management practices (BMPs) and performance metrics.
PLEASE NOTE: If including contractor services as part of your application, please include at least one quote (2 or more quotes are strongly recommended) with your application that shows the breakdown of activities to be completed and associated costs for the activities.
How to Apply
Step 1: Determine whether you are eligible by reviewing the program Terms and Conditions.
Step 2: Contact CAP.PublicTrust@gov.ab.ca to discuss your project and receive the Program Application Form.
Step 3: Complete the Application Questions and sign the Applicant Information Form
Step 4: Submit the Application Form and supporting documentation by:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: Agriculture and Food Sustainability Assurance Program
302, 7000-113th St NW
Application submissions MUST INCLUDE:
· The completed Program Application Questions
· A completed Appendices, which includes the Budget Template
· A completed Applicant Information Form
· Any other supporting documentation
Total processing objective is 19 weeks.