Agriculture Training Support
The purpose of this program is to provide support to the agricultural and horticultural businesses and services to help address the impact of COVID-19. The program will provide a grant to eligible employers to offset the costs of training and ensuring safety protocols are in place for new employees hired from the available domestic labour pool.
All Projects must include activities listed under “a)” and at least one of “b)” or “c)”:
a) training for New Hire Employees in the area of COVID-19 safety procedures, including:
- physical distancing, as defined by Alberta Health Services (https://www.alberta.ca/prevent-the-spread.aspx#p25621s3);
- proper handwashing and other steps to prevent the spread;
- proper use of Personal Protective Equipment, if required;
- proper disinfection of equipment, buildings and facilities;
- requirements for self-reporting of symptoms of COVID-19 to the employer; and
- the process for confidential reporting of infractions for sections i. to v. above to the employer; and
b) training for New Hire Employees in occupational health and safety; and/or
c) training for New Hire Employees in work-related duties and activities.
The Eligible Expenses are listed in the Terms and Conditions. Be sure to review these carefully as grant funding can only be used to offset certain costs for the New Hire Employee.
Important Notes from Terms and Conditions
· The New Hire Employee must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident residing in Alberta, including students, that is newly employed, or will be newly employed, by an Eligible Applicant for a minimum of 25 hours per week for a minimum employment term of 12 continuous weeks.
· A Proof of Employment for each New Hire Employee must be submitted with the Application.
· A New Hire Employee cannot be an individual who is related to the Applicant (including executives/shareholders) by blood, marriage, adoption, common law relationships, or have close business ties.
· Grant funding cannot be used towards the wage/salary of the New Hire Employee.
· This Program provides funding support at 100% to cover Eligible Expenses for approved Applications up to a maximum of $2,000 per New Hire Employee to a maximum of $250,000 per Applicant.
· All Applicants must provide, to the satisfaction of the Minister, a Confirmation of Training Form for each New Hire Employee within 60 days of the completion of the Project.
Am I eligible for this program?
The following entities are eligible to apply under the program:
a) individuals, corporations, registered partnerships and other organizations, including Hutterite colonies, members of Indians Bands, and members of Metis Settlements that operate Essential Services (Agricultural and Horticultural); and
b) produce at least $10,000 worth of agricultural or horticultural farm commodity, or processed food and beverage product, annually.
How do I apply for this program?
Determine whether you are eligible, and confirm that the proposed activities and expenses are eligible. Refer to the Terms and Conditions.
Applications to the Program must be submitted in one of the following ways:
Mail: Agriculture Training Support Program - Canadian Agricultural Partnership
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
Program Delivery Section
Suite 301, 7000 113 Street NW
Edmonton AB T6H 5T6
Application submissions must include: a completed Application signed by an authorized representative of the Applicant; a Proof of Employment for each New Hire Employee; and any supplementary documentation requested by Alberta Agriculture and Forestry.
There is limited funding in the Program. Completed applications will be considered for approval on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information
Frequently Asked Questions
Links & Other Resources
Subscribe to receive program announcements (select Risk Mitigation)