The Water Program directly supports the enhancement of agricultural water management for continued growth and long-term success of the agriculture industry.
Intake continuous when program accepting applications July 5, 2021
On this page:
The Water Program assists primary producers in enhancing agricultural water management for continued growth and long-term success of the agriculture industry. There are two streams under the Water Program: 1) on-farm irrigation projects, and 2) on-farm water supply projects. Applications will be divided into the two streams based on the activities included in the Application.
Eligible expenses will be cost-shared at 25% grant and 75% applicant, except for special incentives at 50% grant and 50% applicant
The maximum funding an applicant can receive from the on-farm irrigation stream is $25,000 per fiscal year of the program.
The maximum grant an applicant can receive from the on-farm water supply stream is $25,000 ($5,000 for standard incentive projects and $20,000 for special incentive projects) for the period April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2023.
To be eligible for on-farm irrigation projects under the Program, an applicant must be a primary producer that:
· is responsible for input costs or agricultural crops or livestock producing at least $25,000 worth of farm commodities annually, but does not include a landlord whose only interest in the crop or livestock is that of ownership of the land;
· owns an irrigated agricultural operation in Alberta; and
· has not been previously approved for payment from the former CAP Irrigation Efficiency Program and current Water Program for the Parcel described in the Application.
To be eligible for on-farm water supply projects under the Program, an applicant must be a primary producer that is:
· responsible for input costs or agricultural crops or livestock producing at least $10,000 worth of farm commodities annually, but does not include a landlord whose only interest in the crop or livestock is that of ownership of the land; and
· liable to pay Alberta income tax or corporate tax (or claim losses) on income from the production of farm commodities under the Income Tax Act (Canada) or the Alberta Corporate Tax Act.
Please refer to the program Funding List.
How to Apply
Step 2: Complete and sign the Application Form.
Step 3: Submit the Application Form and supporting documents by:
On-Farm Irrigation Projects:
CAP Water Program
Natural Resource Innovation Section Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
100, 5401 - 1 Ave. S
Lethbridge, AB T1J 4V6
On-Farm Water Supply Projects:
Email to:(preferred) FarmWaterSupply@gov.ab.ca
CAP Water program
Program Delivery Section Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
7000-113 Street NW Edmonton, AB T6H 5T6
Phone: 310-FARM(3276) Ask to speak to an AF Water Specialist
Note the following before proceeding with a project
There is limited funding under the Program each Fiscal Year. Funding is not guaranteed. If your application is not approved, you will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with your project. All expenses incurred prior to April 1, 2018 are ineligible.
The Water Program Terms and Conditions govern the administration of the Program and must be reviewed prior to starting work on a project and/or applying to the Program. Projects must be identified as eligible in the Program Funding List and meet all applicable requirements stated on the Program Funding List.
To be eligible for funding, projects must meet the requirements of all applicable federal and provincial legislation and contact made to pertinent agencies (e.g., Alberta Environment and Parks) prior to starting the project.
For dugouts and dams under the on-farm water stream, applicants must speak to an Agriculture and Forestry Water Specialist before proceeding. Call 310-FARM and as to speak to an Agriculture and Forestry Water Specialist.
Please note the following reimbursement requirements
Invoices must be under the name of the Legal Name stated on your application;
· Invoice must be dated after April 1, 2018;
· For the on-farm irrigation stream, you must be able to provide proof of 10% down payment for all invoices; and
For the on-farm water stream, you must provide proof of payment in full for ALL invoices, and proof of payment must be under the Legal Name or Company Name on your application and other supporting documents (e.g., Long-Term Water Management Plan, Water Well Drilling Report).
After I apply
If you email your application, you will be notified by email reply that your application has been received.
If the application is missing information, you will be notified via email or telephone and asked to submit the missing information. Your application will be placed in the queue once the missing information is received.
You will be notified within 5 weeks if your application for funding has been approved/not approved.
Links and Other Resources
Phone: 310-FARM (3276)
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
· Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill and save the application form:
· Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer
· Launch Adobe Reader.
· Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form